Dandelion And Bitter Greens, Fried Potatoes, Bacon Dressing
- FRIED POTATOES:
- 2 cups chopped dandelion leaves - (abt 1/2 lb)
- 2 cups baby red leaf lettuce
- 1 cup chopped escarole or frisee
- 1 cup sliced Belgian endive
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 3 hard boiled eggs roughly chopped
- 4 strips apple-smoked bacon cut 3/4" dice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar - (packed)
- 1/2 cup grated peeled apples
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 pounds baking potatoes, like russets peeled, and cut into uniform 1/2" cubes
- 3 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon salt
In a large bowl, combine the dandelions, red lead lettuce, escarole, endive, radishes, and eggs, and toss to mix.
In a skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring, until crisp and brown. Add the vinegar and sugar, and cook, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the apples and stir to combine. Season with the salt and pepper, and add the oil. Remove from the heat and pour the hot dressing over greens mixture and mix thoroughly. Top with the Fried Potatoes.
Adjust the seasoning, to taste, and serve immediately. (Dressing can be prepared ahead and reheated, stirring constantly to keep from sticking to saucepan. If it thickens too much, add a little water.)
For the Fried Potatoes: In a medium, heavy saucepan, place the potatoes in enough salted water to cover by 1-inch. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are slightly tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain on paper towels.
Heat the oil in a large, deep, heavy pot or an electric deep fryer to 360 degrees. Add the potatoes and fry, turning to brow evenly, for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season lightly with salt, to taste, and serve warm in the salad.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (814 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (738 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (705 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (666 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (451 Votes)
- Crock Pot Sour Cream & Bacon... 4.5/5 (311 Votes)