- 1/4 cup chicken stock (or canned chicken broth)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili-garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 fresh red or green jalapeño chili stemmed, minced
- 3/4 pound large uncooked shrimp - (abt 16) shelled, tails left
- intact and deveined
- 1 egg lightly beaten
Stir the chicken stock, ketchup, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sweet chili-garlic sauce together in a small bowl.
Heat a wok over high heat until hot. Add the oil and swirl to coat the sides. Add the garlic, ginger, shallot and chili. Stir-fry until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add the shrimp and stir-fry until they turn pink and curl slightly, 1 to 2 minutes.
Pour the sauce mixture into the wok and stir-fry for 1 minute. While stirring in a circular motion, slowly pour in the beaten egg. This will create egg "flowers". Turn off the heat, scoop the contents of the wok onto a platter and serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings as part of a multi-course meal.