No Soup Tuna Casserole
- 1 can mushroom pieces, drained optional
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped small
- 1/2 med. onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 ( 8 oz.) pkg. dry medium-width noodles
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 (6 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
- 2 ( 7 oz.) can tuna -- save water tuna came in
- 1 sm. can peas, drained optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup sharp cheese optional
- plain dry bread crumbs or French onions
- 2 TB Parmesan cheese
Saute mushrooms, garlic, onion and green peppers in fry pan and set aside. Cook noodles in salted water drain. Melt butter in large fry pan and blend in flour. Add milk slowly, cooking and stirring constantly.
When sauce is thick and smooth, blend in cream cheese and water from tuna. Then add cooked noodles, and lastly the tuna, peas, peppers, onion and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper to taste, top with sharp cheese and then sprinkle French onions or breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese on top.
Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
Note: Make sure noodles are done before making sauce. The sauce gets too thick if it sits while waiting for noodles to cook. Make sure it is really creamy before baking, if not it will be too dry when it is baked. To make sauce creamier, add more milk to a good consistency.