Creamy Leek-Potato Soup
- 4 med leeks, white and light green parts halved lengthwise, sliced thin, dark green parts halved and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups low sodium chick broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1 med onion, chopped medium
- 1 Small russet potato, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or tarragon
- 1 large slice sandwich bread, lightly toasted on lowest toaster setting, torn into 1/2 inch pieces
- Ground black pepper
- Fried leeks: 1 med leek, all parts, thin strips
- 2 TBSP flour, salt pepper
- 1/2 cup EVOO
Bring dark green leek pieces, broth and water to boil over high heat. Reduce to low, cover and simmer 20 mins. Strain broth, extract as much liquid as possible
Melt butter in empty saucepan med-low heat. Foarms, stir in sliced leeks, onion and 1 tsp salt. Reduce to low and cook, stirring often til veg soft. 10 mins.
Increase heat to high, stir in reserved broth, potato, bay leaf and herb sprig and bring to boil. Reduce to low and simmer until potatoes tender, 10 mins. Add bread and simmer til bread breaks down, 5 mins.
Remove bay leaf and herb sprig. Transfer half soup to blender and puree 2-3 mins. repeat.
Return and garnish.
Toss leeks, flour and pinch of salt and pepper in bowl. Heat oil til shimmers. Add leeks, fry, stir often. 6 mins. paper lined plate, salt and pepper.
You'll also love
- Miso Glazed Salmon 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Italian Sausage Recipes 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Summer Squash and Corn Chowder 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Chinese Buffet Green Beans 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Quinoa with Sweet Potato and... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Curried Sweet Potato and Quinoa... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Hummus 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Grilled Halibut and Leeks With... 5/5 (1 Votes)