Venison Vegetable Soup
- 1-1/2 to 2 lbs. deer antelope, elk or moose bones, fairly meaty
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 quarts water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups cubed cooked deer, antelope, elk or moose
- 1 can (16 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange bones in a single layer in large roasting pan or on baking sheet. Bake uncovered until bones are browned, 10 to 20 minutes. Drain, if needed. Set bones aside.
In Dutch oven or large pot, cook and stir celery carrots, onion, and garlic in butter over medium heat until tender Add browned bones, water bay leaf, salt, and marjoram. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover. Simmer until meat on bones is very tender, 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Remove bones; cool slightly. Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Return meat to pot or dutch oven. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, 1 hour longer. Discard bay leaf before serving.