Joe's Stone Crab Cole Slaw
Have you ever had Joe's Stone Crab Cole Slaw? It's so good! Shredded cabbage in a perfect dressing (which is easily adapted to your taste) is served in a heaping mound with slices of tomato, a dollop of mayo and topped off with a spoonful of relish. Yum-O!
- JOE’S STONE DRESSING:
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium head of green cabbage (about 32 ounces)
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, sliced crosswise into 1/4–inch slices
- 8 tablespoons mayonnaise (They use Hellmann’s)
- 4 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
Combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper in a large nonreactive mixing bowl and vigorously whisk it until the sugar and salt dissolve. Check your sugar and salt levels by tasting and adjust as necessary. Be sure the dressing is highly seasoned.
PREPARE THE CABBAGE:
Remove the core from the cabbage and discard. Cut the cabbage into 4 chucks and finely shred it by using the shredding disc on a food processor or a mandoline set fine. Work in small batches so that you never overcrowd your processor bowl. You should end up with about 10 cups of finely shredded cabbage.
Place your shredded cabbage into a large bowl with the dressing you have prepared and toss it until everything is well mixed. Your best tool to do this will probably be your hands. Once all is well blended let it set for at least 10 minutes.
If you store your slaw to serve later remember to keep it covered, well chilled, and be sure to remix it when you take it out to serve.
READY TO SERVE:
Mound your slaw on a platter or onto individual plates. Place your tomato slices on top of the slaw with a dollop of mayo on each slice and a spoonful of relish in the center of each dollop of mayo. Enjoy!
You'll also love
- Jamie Oliver Potato Salad 3.8/5 (12 Votes)
- Morton's Creamed Spinach 3.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Fettuccine Alfredo with King Crab... 3.5/5 (74 Votes)
Review this recipe