Old Fashioned Sweet Green Tomato Pie With Sweet Pie Crust
- BASIC SWEET PIE CRUST:
- 1 Basic Sweet Pie Crust (listed below)
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar - (packed)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar plus
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon finely-ground white pepper
- 4 cups finely-chopped green tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- 8 ounces all-purpose flour (abt 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tbspns)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter cut 1/4" pieces
- 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons ice water
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Make the pie crust and let rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Divide the dough in half. Place 1 piece of the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out to an 11-inch circle, about 1/8-inch thick. Transfer to a 9-inch pie pan. Trim the crust with scissors or a sharp knife to within 1/2-inch of the outer rim.
In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture across the bottom of the prepared piecrust.
Add the tomatoes and lemon juice to the bowl with the remaining flour mixture and toss to coat. Spoon the tomato mixture into the pie shell, and dot with the butter.
Roll out the remaining crust on a lightly floured surface. Place on top of the tomato filling and tuck the overlapping crusts into the pan, forming a thick edge. Crimp the edges to seal and cut small 1/2-inch long vents in a decorative pattern along the top crust. With a pastry brush, brush the top of the crust with the cream, and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.
Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 375 degrees. Bake until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before serving.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
For the Basic Sweet Pie Crust: Sift the flour, sugar, and salt into a large bowl. Using your fingers, work in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons of ice water and work with your fingers until the water is incorporated and the dough comes together. Add more water as needed to make a smooth dough, being careful not to over-mix. Form the dough into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.
This recipe yields 1 (9-inch) pie.