Muffuletta Sandwich On Sourdough Bread
- CREOLE OLIVE SALAD:
- 1 large round Basic Sourdough Bread loaf (see recipe)
- 1 cup Creole Olive Salad (listed below)
- 4 ounces mortadella thinly sliced
- 4 ounces cappocolo, culatello, or other cured Italian ham thinly sliced
- 4 ounces mozzarella thinly sliced
- 4 ounces provolone or Fontina thinly sliced
- Pickled pepperoncini for garnish
- 1/2 cup pitted brine-cured black olives sliced (such as Nicoise)
- 1/2 cup large (queen) pimiento-stuffed olives sliced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
Slice the bread in half horizontally, and remove enough of the doughy insides to make room for the fillings. Spread about 1/4 cup of the Creole Olive Salad and its oil on the bottom and top pieces of bread, spreading to saturate the bread with oil. Alternately layer the bottom bread with the meat, cheese, and remaining olive salad to taste.
Cut into quarters and wrap tightly in butcher's paper or plastic wrap. Let sit for 30 minutes for the flavors to marry and the oil to soak into the bread. Unwrap and place on a large serving plate with the pepperoncini. Serve.
For the Creole Olive Salad: Combine all the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and mix well.
This recipe yields 2 to 4 servings.