Hearts Of Palm Salad With Fried Soft-Shell Crabs, Dressing
- CUCUMBER-YOGURT DRESSING:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped seeded cucumbers
- FRIED SOFT-SHELL CRABS:
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 soft-shell crabs cleaned
- Essence to taste (see Bayou Blast recipe)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- SALAD & ASSEMBLY:
- 2 heads bibb lettuce cores trimmed, and quartered
- 1/2 pound fennel bulb tops removed, and fronds reserved for garnish
- 1 jar hearts of palm - (14 oz) drained, and quartered on the bias
- 4 oranges peeled, segmented
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes - (abt 4 oz ea) cut into eighths
Preheat the fryer to 360 degrees.
For the Cucumber-Yogurt Dressing: Combine the yogurt, honey, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk to blend. Add the cucumber, and mix well.
For the Fried Soft-shell Crabs: Combine the buttermilk and eggs in a shallow pan and beat well and season with salt and pepper. Place crabs in buttermilk mixture and marinate for 1 hour. Combine flour and cornmeal and season with Essence. Remove the crabs from the marinade and let excess drip off. Dredge in the cornmeal mixture. Fry until golden brown and remove to a paper towel lined plate. Season with Essence.
For the Salad & Assembly: Arrange 2 lettuce quarters on each of 4 large plates. Top each with a portion of the shaved fennel. Arrange 2 sliced hearts of palm decoratively around the rim of the plate, and orange segments around the lettuce. Place 2 pieces of tomato at each of the 4 points of the plate. Drizzle the Cucumber-Yogurt Dressing decoratively over the salad, and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.