Citrus Crusted Pompano With Grapefruit Butter Sauce
- GRAPEFRUIT BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1 teaspoon very finely-grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon very finely-grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon very finely-grated orange zest
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 4 skin-on pompano fillets - (6 to 8 oz ea)
- 2 tablespoons Essence (see Bayou Blast recipe)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely-grated grapefruit zest
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup seedless grapefruit segments
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the zest and blanch for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and dry on paper towels. In a bowl, combine the zests, bread crumbs, butter, shallots, salt, pepper, and sugar, and mix well.
Season the flesh side of the pompano fillets with the Essence. Place the fillets on a non-stick baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven. Divide the crumb mixture evenly among the fillets and pack lightly to make a crust. Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and transfer to 4 large plates. Top with the Grapefruit Butter Sauce and serve immediately.
For the Grapefruit Butter Sauce: In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup of the grapefruit juice, the sugar and zest, and cook over medium heat until reduced to a thick syrup.
In a clean saucepan, combine the remaining 1/2 cup of grapefruit juice, the vinegar, and shallots. Simmer until reduced to 3 tablespoons. Add the heavy cream and cook for 30 seconds. Gradually whisk in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, adding each piece before the previous one has been completely incorporated. Continue until all the butter is incorporated and the sauce coats the back of a spoon, removing the pan from the heat periodically to prevent the sauce from getting too hot and breaking.
Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean pan. Add the grapefruit gastrique, salt, pepper, and grapefruit segments, and stir gently to combine. (Makes 1 cup)
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Pan-Fried Quail, Country Milk... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sauteed Soft-Shell Crabs With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Fillet Of Pork With Rosemary-Apple... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chef Neals Baby Back Ribs With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken Salad With Grapes And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Broiled Scallops With Honey-Lime... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Quick Grape Juice 0/5 (0 Votes)