Mom's Tomato Basil Bruschetta
- Crusty Italian bread or baguette (This recipe made enough for 8 large slices Italian)
- Tomatoes—I used cherry tomatoes, quartered. Could use 6 Roma or plum tomatoes, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 c. mozarella cheese, shredded
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed (Can use the bottled stuff)
- 1-1 1/2 c. fresh basil
- 1/2 c. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Balsamic vinegar (optional)
Wash and pat dry basil Pulse in food processor. Pulse in food processor. Add parmesan cheese, olive oil, and garlic and pulse until combined. Can season with S & P.
Preheat oven to 375. Chop tomatoes and slice bread. Spread bread with butter and sprinkle lightly with garlic salt. Put bread on cookie sheet and toast in oven about 3-5” until getting “toasty” and brown around the edges. Remove from oven. Set oven to broil.
Layer bread with pesto, tomatoes, and mazerella cheese. Broil for about 2-4” until cheese melts—watch closely.
Can sprinkle each slice with a few drops of balsamic vinegar or can serve with balsamic vinegar or a vinegarette. Yummo!