DESSERT - White Chocolate Mousse and Brandy Snap Baskets
- 320 g white chocolate
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 1 tsp gelatine
- 50 g butter
- 50 g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 50 g plain flour
Adapted from ourkitchen.fisherpaykel.com
1. Melt chocolate on a double boiler until smooth.
2. Once chocolate has cooled mix in egg yolks. Mix gelatine with 2 tsp hot water, mix until the gelatine is completely dissolved and add to chocolate mixture.
3. Whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form, fold into chocolate mixture.
4. Whip cream until soft peaks form fold into chocolate mixture, refrigerate for at least 4 hours (overnight is best) until set and ready to serve.
1. Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup on the stove, in a small saucepan.
2. Remove from heat and add in the flour and ginger mixing thoroughly.
3. Allow dough to cool, roll into a ball, gladwrap and refrigerate for an hour.
4. Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
5. Remove dough from fridge and roll out between two sheets of parchment until 1-2mm thick. Cut into rectangles the size of which depends on how big you want your cylinders, bearing in mind they will spread and grow when being baked.
6. Bake on baking paper for 10-15 minutes or until golden and fully ‘bubbled’.
7. Remove from oven and shape to desired diameter.
8. Alternatively you can bake it in two large squares, wait for it to harden once out of the oven and just break it into shards to serve with the mousse.