Lemon-Thyme Shortbread Cookies
Recipe source: Better Homes and Gardens - June 2014
To store: Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon thyme or thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 3/4 cup butter
- Coarse sugar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl stir together flour, powdered sugar, cornmeal, thyme, and lemon peel. Drizzle with honey; do not stir. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling. Knead dough until smooth; shape into a ball.
2. On an ungreased cookie sheet, pat mixture into a 9-inch square. Using a pastry wheel or sharp knife, cut into desired shapes; do not separate. If desired, sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until bottom starts to brown and center is set.
3. Remove from oven. While warm, recut shortbread. Cool completely on cookie sheet on a wire rack. If desired, drizzle honey over each cookie before serving and garnish with thyme sprigs.