Plum & Rhubarb Cobbler
Impress family and friends with this from-scratch cobbler. Plums don't get enough hype, and they're the star of this recipe. Love the plums.
- BISCUIT TOPPING:
- 6 cups plums, sliced
- 1 cup rhubarb, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups AP flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
Adapted from canadianliving.com
In large bowl, toss together plums, rhubarb and lemon juice; set aside.
In small bowl, scrape seeds from vanilla bean into sugar; rub together until fragrant. Stir in flour, salt and cloves. Add to fruit mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to 8-inch square baking dish.
In bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until in coarse crumbs. Using fork, stir in buttermilk to make soft, sticky dough. With spoon, drop in 9 evenly spaced mounds over fruit mixture.
Bake on baking sheet in bottom third of 375°F oven until bubbly and topping is light golden and no longer doughy underneath, 55 to 60 minutes.
PLUM AND RHUBARB COBBLER WITH TOASTED OAT BISCUIT TOPPING
In skillet, toast 1/2 cup large-flake rolled oats over medium-low heat, stirring often, until lightly toasted, 5 to 7 minutes. Let oats cool. Replace 1/2 cup of the all-purpose flour with toasted oats. Substitute 1/4 cup packed brown sugar for the granulated sugar. Add 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
PLUM AND RHUBARB COBBLER WITH CORNMEAL BISCUIT TOPPING
Replace 1/2 cup of the flour with cornmeal. Rub 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest with sugar before combining.
You'll also love
- Mini Sloppy Joe Phyllo Cups 4.3/5 (20 Votes)
- Grilled Swordfish with Sautéed... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Moroccan Inspired Kale and Quinoa... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Honey Orange Glazed Carrots 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Lavender & Almond Bessboussa 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Low-Carb In-a-Minute Macaroons 4/5 (24 Votes)
- Sticky Plum Upside Down Cake 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Easy Cherry Cobbler 4.4/5 (10 Votes)