Caesar 'Lite' Salad
- GRILLED SHRIMP:
- 1 piece French bread - (8") crust trimmed, and cut into 1/2" cubes (abt 3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon Essence (see Bayou Blast recipe)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 head romaine lettuce washed, dried, and torn bite size (abt 10 cups)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 pound medium shrimp peeled, de-veined
- 1 tablespoon Essence
- Olive oil for brushing
Position rack in center of oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl, combine the bread cubes and Essence. In the bowl of a blender combine 1/3 cup of the olive oil and 1 teaspoon of the garlic and process on high speed for 30 seconds. Add the olive oil mixture to the bread cubes and toss to combine. Spread the bread cubes evenly on the lined baking sheet and bake until lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.
In a mixing bowl combine the white wine vinegar, mustard, balsamic vinegar, lemon zest, sugar, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of garlic and whisk to blend. Add the remaining 2/3 cup olive oil in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly until thoroughly blended and smooth.
Place the lettuce in a large salad bowl and add the croutons, dressing and Parmesan. Toss to coat evenly. Top with grilled shrimp and then serve immediately.
For the Grilled Shrimp: Preheat a grill or broiler to medium-high. Combine the shrimp, Essence and oil in a mixing bowl and toss to combine. Thread the shrimp onto 4 skewers. When the grill is hot, place the shrimp on the grill and cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until just cooked through. Serve on top of the Caesar 'Lite' salads.
This recipe yields 4 main course salads or 6 to 8 side salads.