Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- 5 cups cooked and drained black-eyed peas
- 4 slices bacon cooked until crisp
- and crumbled, fat reserved separately
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar plus
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely-chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely-chopped jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons finely-chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Essence (see Bayou Blast recipe)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
Combine the black-eyed peas, crumbled bacon, 3 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat, and all remaining ingredients in a large bowl, and toss well to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight, stirring occasionally.
Allow salad to come to room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Toss well just before serving.
This recipe yields 6 cups; 8 servings.