Wonton Wrapped Shrimp
- CILANTRO LIME SAUCE:
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 cups vegetable oil plus
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 12 jumbo shrimp peeled, deveined, tails left intact
- 12 square wonton wrappers
- 1 egg beaten
- 12 chives
- Cilantro for garnish
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 4 tablespoons finely-chopped cilantro leaves
Combine garlic, 1 tablespoon oil, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and hoisin sauce in a medium bowl. Toss shrimp in mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Place wrappers on work surface and cover with a damp kitchen towel. Working with 1 wrapper at a time, brush edges of wrapper with a beaten egg. Place a shrimp diagonally across the center and fold wrapper around shrimp. Place the chives in a bowl of hot water for 1 minute. Drain and tie 1 chive around each wonton-wrapped shrimp. Trim off excess chive. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and set aside. Repeat with remaining wrappers.
Heat the remaining 3 cups oil in a large wok until 375 degrees. Working in batches, add wrapped shrimp and fry until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with Cilantro Lime Sauce.
Cilantro Lime Dipping Sauce: Combine fish sauce, vinegar, lime juice, mirin, and Sriracha sauce. Just before serving stir in cilantro. Divide sauce among 4 small bowls for dipping and serve with the Wonton Wrapped Shrimp.
This recipe yields 12 shrimp, 4 appetizer portions.