Tea Smoked Quail, Chilled Noodle Salad, Hoisin Sauce
- CHILLED NOODLE SALAD:
- 8 quail - (4 oz ea) rib bones removed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup China oolong tea
- 1/2 pound udon noodles cooked and shocked
- in ice water, drained
- 1/4 cup thinly-sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup julliened carrot
- 1/4 cup thinly-sliced peeled seeded cucumber
- 1/2 cup toasted cashews lightly crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- KICKED UP HOISIN SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 small red chile (such as a Szechuan)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- 1 cup good quality hoisin sauce
Place the quail in a medium bowl and sprinkle with the salt, Chinese five-spice and sesame oil. Place the tea in a stovetop smoker and place on high heat. Once the tea begins to smoke, place the quail in the smoker, close tightly and turn the heat off. Leave in the smoker for 20 minutes.
Heat a grill to medium heat. Grill the quail for 3 minutes on each side and serve with the Chilled Noodle Salad and the Hoisin Sauce.
Chilled Noodle Salad: Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly.
Kicked Up Hoisin Sauce: Combine vinegar, sugar, garlic and the chile in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes. Place the onions, celery and cilantro in the barrel of a food processor and puree until smooth. Once the vegetables are pureed, add the vinegar mixture in a steady stream followed by the hoisin sauce. Reserve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.