Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 large sweet potatoes - (abt 3 lbs total)
- 2 quarts vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch cinnamon
Boil sweet potatoes in water to cover for 10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool. Peel potatoes and cut into 1/4- by 1/4-inch thick batons.
Meanwhile in a 5-quart pot or Dutch oven fitted with a candy or deep-frying thermometer, (or in an electric deep fryer), heat oil over medium-low heat until the thermometer registers 300 degrees. Make sure you have at least 3 inches of space between the top of the oil and the top of the pan, as fries will bubble up when they are added.
Increase the heat to medium-high and add fries, a handful at a time, to the hot oil. Fry, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are soft and limp and just begin to brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Using a skimmer or slotted spoon, carefully remove fries from the oil and set aside to drain on paper towels. Let rest for at least 10 minutes or up to 2 hours.
When ready to serve the fries, reheat the oil to 350 degrees. Transfer the blanched potatoes to the hot oil and fry again, stirring frequently until browned and puffed, about 1 minute. Transfer to paper lined platter and allow to drain for a minute.
Combine the brown sugar, salt, cayenne and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add the fries and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (451 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Parmesan Crisps 4.5/5 (96 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Casserole Ruth Chris'... 4.4/5 (94 Votes)
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes 4.5/5 (91 Votes)