Spicy Dill Pickles
- 24 pickling cucumbers (kirbys) (each between 3" and 4" long)
- 6 small bunche fresh dill
- 1 small yellow onion peeled, and thinly sliced
- 12 garlic cloves peeled, crushed
- 6 dried small red chili peppers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup pickling salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
Place the cucumbers in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Sterilize 6 pint-sized jars and 6 lids in a hot water bath according to the manufacturer's instructions. Divide the dill, onions, garlic, peppers and peppercorns among the jars. Drain the cucumbers and tightly pack into the jars.
Bring a large pot or canner of water to a boil.
In a medium pot, combine the vinegar, water, salt, and sugar, and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes to dissolve the salt and sugar.
Pour the hot liquid over the cucumbers, leaving a 1/2-inch of headspace at the top of each jar. Tap the jars on the counter to dispel any air bubbles, cover with lids and rings, and seal tightly.
Place the jars in the pot or canner of boiling water and process for 15 minutes. Remove carefully with tongs and when cool, store in a cool, dry place for at least 3 weeks before opening.
This recipe yields 6 pints of pickles.