Asian: Yakitori Chicken Soba Noodle Bowl
Serving the meat on skewers adds a festive touch; or for easier eating, remove meat from skewers and arrange on each bowl.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 small bamboo skewers
- 4 teaspoons low-sodium tamari, divided
- 4 teaspoons honey, divided
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 8 ounces low-sodium soba noodles
- 4 cups large spinach leaves, stems removed
- 3 bunches scallions (white and light green parts), sliced on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound sliced button or cremini mushrooms
- 1 (2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or other hot sauce, to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Black or brown sesame seeds, for garnish
Preheat grill or broiler. Thread chicken onto skewers, leaving a bit of space between pieces. If using broiler, place on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil. Whisk together 2 teaspoons tamari, 2 teaspoons honey, and 1 tablespoon sesame oil. Brush chicken with mixture and season liberally with black pepper. Grill or broil for 5 minutes per side or until cooked through.
While chicken is cooking, bring a large pot of water to boil and cook noodles al dente, 5–7 minutes.
While water comes to boil, stack spinach leaves, roll into a tight tube lengthwise, and cut crosswise into thin shreds. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and cook scallions and mushrooms until tender and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add ginger and garlic; stir for 1 minute. Add spinach, broth, remaining tamari, remaining honey, Sriracha, and toasted sesame oil, and cook for 1–2 minutes, until spinach is just wilted. Season to taste with black pepper and additional tamari, if needed.
To serve, divide noodles among four bowls and top with broth and vegetables. Place two skewers on each bowl. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve immediately.