Lemon Ricotta Souffle Pancakes
- 3/4 cup (75 g) of all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (63 g) of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs separated
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter (2 melted and 2 for the pan)
- 2/3 cup (165 g) of ricotta, whole or part skim
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) of lemon juice
- zest of a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/4 cup (42 g) of fresh or frozen berries
- Turbinado or raw sugar for sprinkling over the top
- Confectioners sugar for a light dusting
- A light maple syrup or Lyle's golden syrup
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and preheat a 10-inch iron skillet or saute pan.
Mix flour, sugar and salt in a bowl.
Mix eggs yolks, drained ricotta, butter, lemon juice, zest vanilla in a large bowl and mix well.
Place the separated egg whites in a mixing bowl and whisk to stiff peaks.
Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and combine well. Add a small dollop of the egg whites and mix in to lighten the batter. Add the remaining egg whites and fold in with a spatula until combined.
Remove the pan from the oven and put 2 tablespoons of butter it it. When the butter has melted add batter, sprinkle a few berries across the top and sprinkle on about a tablespoon or 2 of turbinado sugar. Return the pan to the oven. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. When the pancake is puffed and lightly browned on top it is ready.
Serve with a light sprinkling of confectioners sugar and serve with syrup of choice.