Cranberry Buckle with Pecan Streusel
Makes one 9-inch square cake
A buckle is a combination of cake batter, berries, and crumb, named for the buckled top that forms as the cake bakes. You can make buckles by topping a batter with berries, layering berries with batter, or mixing in the berries, as we do here. This cake is topped with a crisp, brown sugar-pecan streusel.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) very cold unsalted butter, cut up
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Butter (for the pan)
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) fresh cranberries
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped until it holds soft peaks with 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1. In a bowl, combine the flour with the granulated and brown sugars. With 2 blunt knives, cut the butter into the sugar mixture until it resembles small clumps.
2. Add the pecans and stir well.
1. Set the oven at 375 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square cake pan.
2. In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to blend them.
3. In an electric mixer at medium speed, beat the butter and granulated sugar until well blended. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla and orange rind until evenly blended.
4. With the mixer set on medium-low speed, blend in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
5. Remove the bowl from the mixer stand. With a rubber spatula, fold in the cranberries. Pour the mixture into the pan and sprinkle the streusel on top.
6. Bake the cake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool. Cut into squares and serve with whipped cream.
You'll also love
- Baked Potato Soup - Slow Cooker... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mom's Beef Stew 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Charlies Corn Pudding 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Caramel Sauce for Apple Dipping 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Creamy Lemon Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grandma Bond's Strawberry Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Very Berry Cheesecake Trifle 0/5 (0 Votes)
- White Chocolate Cranberry... 0/5 (0 Votes)