Nutty Brussels Sprouts
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup walnut oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Trim any damaged leaves off the Brussels sprouts and trim the stem ends. Cut an X in the bottom of each sprout, then steam the sprouts in a vegetable steamer until crisp-tender.
In a medium mixing bowl combine the vinegar, maple syrup, shallots and mustard and whisk together. Let sit for 5 minutes. Whisk in the oil in a slow, steady stream until emulsified. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
When the Brussels sprouts are steamed to desired doneness, toss with the vinaigrette and walnuts and serve immediately.
This recipe yields 6 servings.