North African-Influenced Lamb Shanks With Couscous
- 4 lamb shanks - (1 lb ea)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 cups thinly-sliced yellow onions
- 1 cup large diced carrots
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 pound sweet potatoes peeled, and cut into 3/4" pieces
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup chopped peeled seeded tomatoes
- 4 cups lamb stock (or chicken stock)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- Pistachio-Mint Couscous (see recipe)
Season the shanks generously on all sides with the salt and black pepper, and lightly with the turmeric. Place the flour on a large plate. Dredge the shanks in the flour and shake to remove any excess.
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven or large, heavy saute pan over high heat. Add the shanks and sear until well-browned on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the shanks.
Add the remaining teaspoon of oil, then the cinnamon, cumin, ginger, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the onions and carrots and cook, stirring, until the onions are starting to color, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 minutes.
Add the potatoes and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine and stir to deglaze the pan, cook until reduced slightly, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Return the shanks to the pot, add the stock, cilantro, parsley, orange juice, and orange peel, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover with the lid slightly ajar, and simmer until the shanks are tender and the meat starts to fall from the bones, 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours, skimming occasionally to remove any scum that forms on the surface.
Remove from the heat. Divide the Pistachio-Mint Couscous among 4 plates and top with the lamb shanks. Drizzle with the sauce and serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (703 Votes)
- Buffalo Ranch Alfredo Pasta 4.5/5 (687 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (665 Votes)
- Crock Pot Ravioli Casserole 4.5/5 (475 Votes)
- Side- Corn, Feta & Couscous Salad... 5/5 (8 Votes)