Cheddar Chicken Quinoa Bake
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 8oz. can tomato sauce
- dash of red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups cooked & shredded chicken (I used leftovers from a roasted chicken)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (I used a mixture of red & white)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups grated white cheddar cheese, divided
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease an 8×8 baking dish.
In a skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil, shallot, garlic and green onions. Saute for about 2-3 minutes.
Add chopped tomato, tomato sauce, red pepper flakes and salt & pepper. Stir and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine quinoa, chicken, red pepper, chili pepper, cilantro and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese in a large bowl. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Add sauce to the bowl and toss to combine.
Transfer mixture to the baking dish.
Top with remaining ½ cup of cheddar cheese and cover with foil.
Bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and garnish with additional green onions and/or cilantro.