Hot Corn Dip With Crispy Tortilla Chips
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 cups corn kernels (from 4 ears fresh white or yellow corn)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (green and white parts)
- 1 jalapeño seeded, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise - (to 1)
- 4 ounces monterey jack or cheddar shredded
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Tortilla chips for dipping
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the corn, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the kernels turn deep golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the skillet. Add the onions and bell peppers and cook, stirring often, until the onions are wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the green onions, jalapeño, and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened.
Transfer to the bowl with the corn. Add the mayonnaise, 1/2 of the monterey jack and half of the cheddar, and the cayenne and mix well.
Pour into an 8-inch square baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake until bubbly and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve hot with the chips.
This recipe yields 6 cups dip; 12 to 18 servings.