Grilled Drunken Lobsters With Papaya-Avocado Salad
- 4 Pacific or rock lobsters - (1 1/2 to 2 lbs ea)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil plus
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 poblano chiles
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1 ounce tequila
- Papaya-Avocado Salad (see recipe)
- 1 Sprigs fresh cilantro garnish
Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
Fill a large stockpot three-fourths full with salted water and bring to a boil. Plunge the lobsters headfirst, 2 at a time, into the boiling water and cook, covered, for 3 minutes. (They will be only partially cooked.) Transfer with tongs to a large bowl filled with ice water to cool. Place on a cutting board and with a sharp knife, cleanly cut the lobster in half lengthwise from the head to the tail. (If female, reserve the roe for another use; discard or reserve the bodies for another use.)
In a skillet, heat the oil over high heat. Add the chiles, and cook, stirring, until they turn a light color, 4 to 5 minutes, being careful not to let them burn. Transfer the chiles to a cutting board until cool enough to handle. Add the onions, garlic, and salt and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Trim and discard the chile stems. Cut the chiles into pieces and transfer to a blender. Add the onions, garlic, salt, oil, and lime juice, and process on high speed to make a smooth sauce. Add the tequila through the feed tube while the machine is running and process until smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan.
Brush the lobster shells lightly with olive oil and place, shell-side down, on the grill. Spoon the pepper tequila mixture onto the lobster meat and grill, basting occasionally, until the juices are bubbly and the meat is opaque, about 8 minutes.
Remove from the grill and transfer to plates. Serve with the Papaya-Avocado Salad and garnish with cilantro.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- Famous Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (466 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (287 Votes)
- Creamy Shrimp & Mushroom Pasta 4.5/5 (260 Votes)