Blood orange, date, Parmesan, and almond salad
- 4 large blood oranges
- 1 small bunch arugula, stems removed
- 1/2 cup almonds, toasted
- 15 Deglet Noor or other dates, cut in halfand pitted
- 1/4 pound Parmesan cheese, cut into large shavings
- 3 tablespoons almond oil
- Fleur de sel or other sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
1. Slice the top and bottom ends from the blood oranges. Stand one orange on one flat end and, following the contour with a knife, slice off the rind and pith completely. Work from top to bottom, rotating the fruit as you go. Reserve the rind. Slice each orange thinly into 8 to 10 pinwheels, reserving any leftover pieces for juice.
2. On a large platter, scatter one-third of the arugula. Arrange one-third of the oranges, almonds, dates, and cheese on the platter. Continue layering in this way until all the ingredients are used.
3. Sprinkle the almond oil over the salad and season lightly with salt and pepper. Squeeze the reserved rinds and any other leftover orange pieces on top.