Giant Apple-Pecan Pancake
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter plus
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 large apples peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar - (firmly packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup roughly-chopped toasted pecans
- 4 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Powdered sugar as an accompaniment
- Creme fraiche as an accompaniment
- Maple syrup as an accompaniment
- Vanilla Ice Cream as an accompaniment
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
In a large, ovenproof skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the apples, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and cook, stirring, until the apples are soft and just golden, about 7 minutes. Add the walnuts, and cook, stirring, until the apples are caramelized, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the remaining tablespoon of butter and stir to melt. Remove from the heat.
In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, and baking powder, flour, and whisk just until blended, being careful not to over mix. Pour the batter over the apples. Bake until golden and puffed, 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Drizzle with creme fraiche and maple syrup and serve in the pan.
This recipe yields 4 servings.