zed Green Bean Casserole
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans ends trimmed, and cut lengthwise into thin strips and blanched
- 2 1/4 cups Cream Of Wild Mushroom Soup (see recipe)
- 2 tablespoons Essence plus
- 2 teaspoons Essence (see Bayou Blast recipe)
- 2 cups grated Fontina
- 4 cups vegetable oil - (to 5)
- 2 large yellow onions peeled, and thinly sliced abt 1/16" thick
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2-quart baking dish with the butter and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the green beans, Wild Mushroom Soup, 2 teaspoons of Essence, and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, and stir well. Pour into the prepared dish, sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top, and bake until bubbly, 35 to 30 minutes.
In a large saucepan, add enough oil to come about 3 inches up the sides, and heat to 360 degrees.
Pat the onions dry. Drizzle hot sauce on the onions and toss. In a bowl, combine the flour and 2 tablespoons of the Essence. Add the onions and toss to coat evenly. Shake the onions to remove any excess flour and add in batches to the hot oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp and golden brown, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Top casserole with fried onions and serve.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.