Baked Cheesy Chicken Penne
- 6 TBSP butter, plus more for baking dishes
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 lbs penne rigate
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast 1/2 (abt 8 oz each), 1/2 horizontally
- 1/2 c plus 2 tbsp flour
- 6 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 6 c whole milk
- 10 oz white or cremini mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 c sliced oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 c shredded provolone (6 oz) (I used an italian blend that had provolone in it)
- 1 1/2 c freshly grated Parmesan (about 6oz)
1.Preheat oven to 400. Butter two shallow 2-quart baking dishes. If you’re going to freeze one, use a disposable foil pan. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta 3 minutes short of al dente; drain pasta and set aside.
2.While pasta is boiling, heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper; cook until opaque throughout, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Halve each piece lengthwise, then thinly slice crosswise. While chicken pan is still hot, toss the mushrooms in and saute until golden brown (3-4 minutes). Use a little extra olive oil if needed.(Since I used left over chicken, I just cooked the mushrooms in the olive oil)
3.In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy pot , melt butter over medium. Add flour and garlic; cook, whisking, 1 minute. While whisking constantly, gradually add milk; bring to a simmer. Keep whisking frequently as sauce thickens, about 1 minute more. Add mushrooms and tomatoes; cook 1 minute. Take the pan off the heat and and gradually stir in provolone and 1/2 cup Parmesan.
4.Add chicken and pasta to pot; season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide pasta mixture between baking dishes. If freezing, place remaining parmesan cheese in a zip-top baggie. If cooking, sprinkle on top.
5.Bake, uncovered, until top is golden and bubbling, about 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
To freeze, prepare through step 4 and then let pasta cool. Cover pan well with plastic wrap. Place extra cheese in baggie (for topping) on top and then cover entire pan well with foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. To bake, preheat oven to 400. Remove foil and plastic from pan and set cheese baggie aside. Place foil back on pan and bake for about 1 1/2 hours. Remove foil, stir pasta, and top with cheese. Return pan to oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes (I only did 10 minutes) or until mixture is hot and bubbly throughout.
You'll also love
- Scallops with Rice Pilaf 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Creamy Lumaconi with Italian... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spicy Garlic Noodles with Pork... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- NOODLES-ROBIN MCGRAW'S 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Ravioli Alfredo with Shrimp 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chickpea Soup with Moghrabieh... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Buca Di Beppo's Baked Penne 0/5 (0 Votes)