Farmhouse Cornbread Tomato Salad
This simple summer tomato salad gets a savory kick from cornbread and a tangy edge from white balsamic vinegar. Toasting the cornbread cubes keeps them crispy.
- For Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry oregano
- 1 cup olive oil
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- For Salad:
- 2 cups cornbread, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup red cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup Sungold cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup cucumber, 1-inch dice
- 1/4 cup chopped purple basil
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup corn, grilled and taken off the cob
- 1/4 cup rendered bacon, crumbled
- white balsamic vinaigrette to taste, see recipe above
Adapted from ajc.com
In a blender, combine all ingredients, except the olive oil. While the blender is running, slowly add the oil and emulsify, and season with salt and white pepper.
Preheat oven to 350. Toast the cornbread cubes until golden brown, approximately 5 minutes and set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, mix together the tomatoes, cucumber, purple basil, sliced red onion, and the cooled cornbread. Add the white balsamic vinaigrette, season with salt & pepper, and toss until all the ingredients are coated. Plate the salad and scatter the grilled corn and bacon over the top.