Spicy Barbecued Shrimp Skewers
- BLACK BEAN RELISH:
- 1/4 cup vegetable or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves plus
- more for garnish
- 1 jalapeño seeded, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 pounds large shrimp peeled
- 4 cups cooked black beans drained, rinsed
- 2 cups cooked corn kernels cut from the cob
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves minced (or 1 tspn minced garlic)
- 2 jalapeño peppers seeded, minced fine
- 1/2 bunch scallions (green onions) minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 limes juiced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except the shrimp and the relish mix well to combine. Add the shrimp to the seasoning paste, and toss to thoroughly coat with the seasoning mixture. Let the shrimp sit in the seasoning mixture while you prepare the grill.
Prepare a grill and thread the shrimp onto 4 or 6 metal skewers (depending on their size). Place shrimp skewers on the grill and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, or until the shrimp turn pink and are lightly charred on both sides. Do not overcook!
Serve the shrimp with Black Bean Relish
For the Black Bean Relish: In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients and stir to mix well. Season the black bean relish with salt and pepper, and set aside at least 1/2 hour before serving with the shrimp. Finish the black bean relish with the chopped cilantro.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.