Mushroom & Fontina Quiche
Savory and full of flavor, this quiche makes a great meal anytime. Serve with smoked salmon and fruit for brunch, or with a salad for supper.
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (half of 15-ounce package)
- 2 tablespoons (1/4-stick) butter
- 2/3 cup shallots, chopped (about 3 medium)
- 5 cups assorted mushrooms (such as chanterelle, stemmed shiitake, oyster, crimini, and button) sliced
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated Fontina cheese, packed (about 7-ounces), divided
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 115mins
Adapted from epicurious.com
Preheat oven to 450°F. Unroll crust completely. Press firmly onto bottom and up sides of 9-inch-diameter deep-dish glass pie dish. Bake until light golden brown, pressing on sides of crust with back of spoon if crust begins to slide down sides of dish, about 17 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
Meanwhile, melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sauté until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; sprinkle with salt and pepper and sauté until mushrooms are tender and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer to plate; spread out to cool slightly.
Whisk eggs, half and half, milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg in large bowl to blend. Stir in 1 cup Fontina cheese and sautéed mushrooms. Pour filling into crust. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over quiche.
Bake quiche until puffed, golden brown, and just set in center, about 45 minutes. Cool 30 minutes. Cut into wedges.
You'll also love
- Pasta E Fagioli Soup 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Seafood Stuffed Onion 4.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Oven Roasted Corned Beef with... 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Chicken Parmigiana, inspired by... 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Mushroom Barley Risotto 4.2/5 (14 Votes)
- Mushroom and Gruyère Crostata 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Potato-Crusted Vegetarian Quiche... 4.3/5 (24 Votes)