Red Wine-Braised Brisket with Caramelized Onions
A simple but intensely flavorful way to prepare brisket filled with the flavors of fresh rosemary, cipollini onions, and rich red wine. Braising in red wine creates a moist brisket and its succulence is balanced by the acidity in the wine. The wine also helps to tenderized the meat and give an overall richness to the dish.
- 1 (4-pound) beef brisket flat, cut into 3 pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large white onions, cut in half and thinly sliced (6 loosely packed cups)
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle dry red wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped and divided
- 1 (10-ounce) package cipollini onions, peeled
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 345mins
Preheat oven to 350°F. Sprinkle all sides of brisket pieces with salt and pepper. Cook brisket, in batches, in hot oil in an ovenproof Dutch oven over medium-high heat until browned on all sides (about 15 minutes). Transfer to a plate, reserving drippings in Dutch oven.
Add white onions and shallots to hot drippings in Dutch oven, and sprinkle with sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, 25 minutes or until onions are soft and caramelized. Stir in wine, 1 teaspoon rosemary, and brisket. Top with cipollini onions; cover.
Bake at 350°F for 4 hours or until brisket is tender. Remove from oven, and let stand, covered, 30 minutes. Transfer brisket to a cutting board and onions to a large bowl, reserving liquid in Dutch oven. Cover brisket and onions loosely with aluminum foil.
Bring reserved liquid to a boil over high heat, stirring often; boil, stirring often, 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in cooked onions and remaining 1/2 teaspoon rosemary.
Cut brisket across the grain into thick slices. Serve with onion mixture.
You'll also love
- Two-Potato Home Fries 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Eggplant Gratin with Herbs and... 4.4/5 (26 Votes)
- Cinnamon Oatmeal Scones 4.1/5 (58 Votes)
- Better Than Sex Brisket Recipe -... 4/5 (70 Votes)
- David Venable's Beef Brisket... 4.1/5 (48 Votes)
- French Onion Chicken Bubble Up 4/5 (69 Votes)
- Strawberry French Toast 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- 5-Spice Braised Brisket 4.7/5 (7 Votes)