Pinto Bean Casserole
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 1/4 pound lean ham, cubed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
Soak beans overnight in water to cover.
Rinse beans, then place them in a 4-quart saucepot and cover again with water. Cook over high heat until water boils rapidly. Drain beans into a colander; rinse thoroughly with cold water.
Wash pot to remove all starch accumulated on sides. Return thoroughly rinsed beans to clean pot; add 5 cups cold water and ham. Simmer over low heat 1-1/2 hours. Add chicken broth, bell peppers, garlic and cayenne pepper. Simmer 20 minutes, or until beans are tender. Gently stir in honey.
Pour bean mixture into a buttered 3-quart casserole dish. Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven 12 minutes.