Mediterranean Pork Chops
A rustic (and quick) homemade tomato sauce is the secret to this memorable meal
- 2 bone-in pork chops
- 6 Campari tomatoes, cut in half
- 3 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- olive oil for cooking
- 1/4 cup kalamata olive, pitted
- 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
1. Heat a large frying pan over medium. When hot, lightly brush pan with oil, then add chops. Cook chops until springy when pressed, about 3 min per side. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil. If pan is dry, add more oil. Add tomatoes, olives, onion and garlic to the pan. Cook until softened, 2 to 3 min, reducing heat if necessary. Spoon sauce over chops and sprinkle with parsley.
With tomato sauce, serve an earthy wine that isn’t too fruity. This one has the elegance of an Old World wine for a modest price. Masi Tupungato Passo Doble, Argentina, $16.
Pair with a salad of tender greens (we used mâche) and a baguette to soak up the sauce.