Crostini With Balsamic Onions And Cheese
- 24 diagonal 1/4"-thk slices cut from a long
- thin loaf Italian or French bread
- 1/2 cup olive oil plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 4 cups thinly-sliced red onions
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup soft cheese (such as blue or goat)
- 2 tablespoons fresh snipped chives
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Brush bread with 1/4 cup of the olive oil and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake until golden, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and tender, about 8 minutes. Add vinegar and cook until it evaporates, about 30 seconds. Season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Cool to room temperature.
Divide onions evenly among crostini and top each with about 1 teaspoon crumbled cheese. Garnish each crostini with 1/4 teaspoon of chives and serve immediately at room temperature.
This recipe yields 24 crostini.