Basic Red Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onions - (1 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic - (2 cloves)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes - (28 oz)
- 1 can tomato sauce - (15 oz)
- 4 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
In a medium, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, salt, basil, oregano and black pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft, 5 minutes.
Place the tomatoes in a large bowl and squeeze to break into small pieces. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, and sugar to the pot and stir well. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
Lower the heat to medium-low, and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally with a heavy wooden spoon.
This recipe yields ?? servings.