Okra with Tomatoes
I made this with fresh okra (sliced then soaked in milk for 15 mins to get rid of the sliminess) and canned diced tomatoes and fresh. This was a nice fresh-tasting side dish. I think some corn would work well with it too.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper, minced
- 1 pound frozen sliced okra
- 1 (8 ounce) can canned diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
Cover the bottom of a skillet with the olive oil and place over medium heat. Place the garlic, onion, and cayenne pepper in the skillet and stir until fragrant. Stir in the green pepper. Cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the frozen okra and allow to cook for 5 minutes more. Stir in both the diced and the stewed tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until all vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes.