Hash Brown Potatoes
- 5 medium baking potatoes - (abt 4 lbs) scrubbed (such as russets)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced yellow onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Essence (see Bayou Blast recipe)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
Place the whole potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until half-cooked and almost tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and let sit until cool enough to handle. Slip the skins from the potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch dice.
Heat the oil and melt the butter in a skillet over high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook, stirring, for 20 seconds. Add the potatoes, Essence, thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook without stirring, but shaking the pan occasionally to keep from burning, until the potatoes begin to color and crisp on the underside, about 4 minutes. Turn the potatoes with a spatula being careful not to mash, and continue cooking until uniformly golden.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.