Blue Cheese Waldorf Salad
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup buttermilk - (to 1/2)
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup grated yellow onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 cups diced sweet red apples - (2 to 3 med) (such as Gala or Jonathan)
- 1 cup thinly-sliced celery
- 1/2 cup red seedless grapes halved
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces broken
- 1 head Bibb lettuce cored, and leaves separated
In a bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and vinegar. Slowly add 1/3 cup buttermilk, whisking to thicken. Add the blue cheese, onion, salt, pepper, and cayenne, and whisk well to combine, adding more buttermilk, as desired. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the apples, celery, grapes, and walnuts. Add the dressing, to taste, and toss well.
Arrange the lettuce leaves on 6 salad plates. Top with the tossed salad and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.