Ty’s Thai apple salad
- 2 large granny smith apples
- 1 large pink lady apple
- juice of 2 limes
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 12.5-oz. can of chunk chicken, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups cashew pieces
- 1/3 cup hot-chili-infused olive oil (or regular)
- 1 Tbs. crushed red pepper (or 2 if you use regular oil)
Slice the apples into matchsticks on a mandoline. To prevent oxidation, immediately put the apples into a large bowl with the lemon/lime juice.
Under the broiler, quickly toast the coconut and minced garlic. Add to the apples, along with the red onion, chicken, cilantro and cashews. Drizzle on the oil and add the crushed red pepper.
The apples will soften and absorb the citrus juice and oil after about six hours, so it’s best to mix and serve this soon after preparing it. Also, the amount of juice you get from the lemon and limes will vary depending on the size of your fruit; if you have larger lemons or limes, start with less. Add more if you think the salad is too dry, but you don’t want a pool of liquid in the bottom of the bowl.