Snacks: Chocolate-Date-Nut Bars
Gluten Free and Vegan. These crowd-pleasing, quick, and easy bars are packed with protein, antioxidants, fiber, and omega-3 fats. They travel well, so they’re perfect for school, backpacking, and just about any outdoor activity.
- 12 unit medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts (no need to remove skins)
- 1 (4-ounce) bar dark chocolate (60% cocoa works well, broken into small pieces)
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 110mins
Place dates in a food processor and pulse until well chopped. Add almonds and hazelnuts and pulse until chopped, but a few large pieces remain. Remove cover and make a circular trough in the mixture with the back of a small spoon.
Place chocolate pieces in a small bowl over hot but not boiling water. Stir until melted. Carefully pour melted chocolate into prepared trough in date-nut mixture. Replace cover and pulse a few times, until just combined.
Scrape mixture onto a cutting board and form a rough rectangle. Cut into eight equal pieces. Combine hemp and chia seeds on a small plate. Mold each of the cut pieces into evenly shaped bars, warming mixture with your hands. Press bars gently into seeds to coat. Place on a small tray, cover with plastic, and refrigerate for about an hour, or until very firm. Once firm, bars may be individually wrapped and kept at room temperature.
You'll also love
- Seafood: Potted Crab with Meyer... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Meaty Spaghetti with Mushrooms 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Sauteed Sausage and Grapes with... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Beef Jerky - NuWave 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Italian Rum Cake 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Pineapple Upside Down Cookies 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Refrigerator Fruit & Nut Cookies 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Caramel Apple Yummy Bars 4.3/5 (3 Votes)