Chicken Braised In Pumpkin Seed Mole Verde
- 1 cup shelled pumpkin seeds (very important these are shelled)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems and leaves
- 2 jalapeños seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves
- 5 tomatillos husked, washed, and coarsely chopped
- Radish tops
- 1 chicken cut into 8 pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch cinnamon (optional)
- Cooked rice as an accompaniment
- Sliced radishes for garnish
In a large skillet over low heat, toast pumpkin seeds, cumin seeds, and oregano until fragrant and pumpkin seeds begin to pop, 6 to 7 minutes. Reserve 2 tablespoons toasted seeds, and transfer the remaining seeds to a blender or spice grinder and process until finely ground. Set aside.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine onion, cilantro, jalapeños, garlic, lettuce, tomatillos, and radish tops and puree until smooth.
In a large skillet or Dutch oven, brown chicken on all sides in vegetable oil over medium-high heat, about 10 minutes, turning the pieces as they cook. Transfer chicken to a platter.
Add the pureed vegetables to the hot skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in chicken stock and ground seeds, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper, and add the cinnamon, if desired. Add the chicken pieces to the pan and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook, partially covered, until the chicken is cooked through and tender, about 40 minutes.
Serve over white rice with sliced radishes and reserved toasted pumpkin seeds.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (888 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (893 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Zucchini Parmesan Crisps 4.5/5 (312 Votes)
- Zucchini Chips 4.5/5 (197 Votes)
- Zucchini & Sweet Corn Casserole 4.5/5 (192 Votes)
- Better Than Sex Pumpkin Dessert 4.5/5 (181 Votes)