Veggies: Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes with Bacon-Sesame Brittle
Serve these sweet and savory potatoes as a side dish for pork or duck, or as a main course with a salad on the side.
- ingredient info:
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch-wide pieces
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 6 medium sweet potatoes (6–8 ounces each)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons white miso (fermented soybean paste)
- 1 2/3-inch piece ginger, peeled, finely grated (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 1-inch pieces scallion (dark-green parts only), thinly sliced lengthwise
- White miso, also called shiro miso, can be found at Asian markets and amazon.com.
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Line a rimmed baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
Cook bacon in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat until most of the fat is rendered and bacon is starting to crisp. Transfer bacon to a sieve set over a small bowl; reserve drippings.
Return bacon, 1 Tbsp. drippings, sugar, and sesame seeds to same skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar turns the color of milk chocolate, about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to prepared baking sheet and use a spatula to spread out evenly; let cool. Break brittle into shards. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
Preheat oven to 400°. Place sweet potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast until tender, 45–55 minutes. Let sit until cool enough to handle.
Slice potatoes in half lengthwise. Working over a large bowl, scoop out flesh from 8 halves, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick layer inside skins. Place potato halves on same foil-lined baking sheet. Scoop flesh from remaining 4 halves; discard skins. Mash flesh with a whisk; add eggs, butter, miso, and ginger and stir until mixture is smooth. Spoon or pipe filling into reserved skins. DO AHEAD: Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover and chill.
Bake potatoes until the tops are lightly puffed and golden brown, 30–35 minutes (potatoes will take longer if they’ve been chilled). Top potatoes with bacon-sesame brittle and scallions.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (812 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (738 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (704 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (666 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (451 Votes)
- Crock Pot Sour Cream & Bacon... 4.5/5 (311 Votes)