Chef Dave's Mayo Method
- 4 pompano fillets - (4 to 6 oz ea) scaled, trimmed
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Essence to taste (see Bayou Blast recipe)
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded plum tomatoes
- 1 mango peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/4 cup diced peeled seeded cucumber
- 1/2 jalapeño seeded, diced fine
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 tablespoon pureed chipotle in adobo
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
Preheat the grill to medium-high.
Using a pastry brush or rubber spatula, lightly coat both sides of each fillet with a small amount of mayonnaise. Season the fillets on both sides with salt, pepper, and Essence to taste.
When the grill is hot, place the fillets on the grill and grill for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the flesh begins to turn opaque. (This will depend on the size of the fillets as well as on the type of fish being cooked.) Turn the fillets and grill on the second side until the fish is cooked through and flakes easily. Transfer to serving plates and enjoy immediately. Serve with salsa.
Salsa: Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Mix well and let sit for 15 minutes for flavors to combine.
This recipe yields 4 servings.