Black Bean Dip
Could add a layer of cream cheese to the bottom of this dip to give it an extra layer and extra depth of flavor. Serve with sour cream or guacamole on the side.
- Butter for baking dish
- 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 (20.5 oz) cans re-fried black beans
- 1 (10 oz) can tomatoes & green chilis (or 1 cup of salsa)
- 2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese blend plus 2 cups for topping
- Chopped green onion for topping
- Tortilla chips, Fritos or toasted pita triangles for serving
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Preheat oven to 325*F
Lightly butter a 2-quart baking dish
1. Season meat with 1/2 of the taco seasoning packet and brown it in a large skillet with the chopped onion and green pepper.
2. When meat is completely browned, drain any grease from pan.
3. Add the rest of the seasoning packet to the meat and stir in can of tomatoes (or salsa if using). Do not drain tomatoes. Simmer until liquid has reduced, blending all the flavors well.
4. Add beans and stir. Add 2 cups of the cheese and stir.
5. If adding layer of cream cheese, spread it into bottom of pan, topped with bean mixture. Otherwise, pour bean mixture directly into baking dish and bake until hot and bubbly, about 25 to 30 min.
6. Add remaining 2 cups of cheese and broil for 3 to 5 min.
7. Top with chopped green onion.