Flash-Roasted Vegetables and Rice w/Chipotle Tomato Sauce
- 1 c white rice
- 2 medium Japanese eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch slices (1 lb)
- 2 small zucchini, cut on bias into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 small red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch thick rings
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 t chili powder
- 4 oz. crumbled queso fresco, optional
- Chipotle Tomato Sauce
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 T)
- 1 14.5 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 large white onion, halved and sliced 1/4-inch thick
Preheat oven to 475. Coat 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray
Place rice and 2 cups cold water in medium saucepan, and season with salt, if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 12 to 15 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
Meanwhile, toss together eggplant, zucchini and bell peppers with oil and chili powder in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Spread on prepared baking sheets, and roast 20 to 25 minutes, or until tender and beginning to brown, turning occasionally.
Blend chipotles and garlic in blender until smooth. Add tomatoes, and pulse until almost smooth but with some texture.
Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until browned and softened. Stir in tomato mixture, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 5 minutes, or until thickened.
To serve: Spread rice in bottom of casserole dish Top with vegetables, then Chipotle Tomato Sauce. Sprinkle with Quest fresco.